Incognito
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
* * * Welcome to Incognito-x.com * * *
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby weluv2play Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:08 am

» ♬ Musical Lounge 2 ♬
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby weluv2play Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:40 am

» HEY EVERYONE
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby RiverCreek Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:07 pm

PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby weluv2play Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:49 am

» Political Science and Political Parties 101 ✔
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby weluv2play Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:20 am

» My 30th Birthday!!!
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby tbaby Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm

» =) heyyyy
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby rose_wolf_girl Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 pm

» Greetings & Welcomes (intro yourself here).
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby tbaby Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:24 am

» New From Lockwood This Week!
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby tbaby Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:47 am

» New Dances from Atom Republic This Week!
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Emptyby tbaby Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:33 am

Top posters
tbaby
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult I_vote_lcapPS4 backwards-compatibility difficult I_voting_barPS4 backwards-compatibility difficult I_vote_rcap 
Yaheard2008ep
PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult I_vote_lcapPS4 backwards-compatibility difficult I_voting_barPS4 backwards-compatibility difficult I_vote_rcap 
rhondatommy
weluv2play
CalmDisaster
Sophronia
gamer_316
Acistian
Iceandspice
SnidelyKWhiplash

PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CalmDisaster
Team Staff
Team Staff

Incognito Ryo : 1779

PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult Empty
PostSubject: PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult   PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 pm

U.K. developer Clever Beans has suggested that the likelihood of the PlayStation 4 being backwards-compatible with PS3 games is slim.

When questioned on the subject of backwards-compatibility on Sony’s next-generation console, Clever Bean’s directors Martin Turton and Andrew Newton said that they think “it is something that would be very difficult to achieve”, though they do go on to say that it could potentially be “handled using cloud-based streaming.”

With Sony acquiring the cloud-based streaming service Gaikai earlier this year, it’s extremely likely that it has plans to make use of the technology with the PlayStation 4, and though we still don’t know for sure exactly how it intends to implement streaming, it does look likely to be a viable solution to solve the backwards-compatibility dilemma.

With such a great range of titles available on PS3, users will certainly want to be able to play PS3 games on the next PlayStation console - and Sony will surely want to keep selling some of its triple-A titles to PS4 adopters. However, because of the radically different architecture of the new console, which is said to include the AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU, a PS3 Blu-ray disc is rumoured to be unlikely to work and the option of making PS3 games available via PSN to download too expensive to emulate.

Streaming PS3 games would still be a huge task for Sony to get right; after all, the major problems with cloud-based streaming are latency and bandwidth issues, which we’ve experienced personally while gaming via streaming service OnLive. It’s an issue that Clever Beans also flags up:

“Internet bandwidth and latency across the world generally are still patchy at best, whilst the technology required for (non cloud-based) gaming is all the time becoming cheaper, more mobile and more ubiquitous. So there doesn’t seem to be a lot of point in streaming games from the cloud,” say the directors.

“It could be a good delivery mechanism for demos, which, as a lot of people have speculated, may be why Sony decided to invest in Gaikai.”

In 2009, Sony trademarked the name ‘PS Cloud’ and the filing revealed that the company was looking at “providing an online videogame that users may access through the internet". Streaming technology is still in development and there’s a long way to go before it performs competently worldwide, but PS Cloud and streaming technology definitely has potential with the PS4 for the likes of streaming music, magazines, demos and, quite possibly, the streaming of a back-catalogue of PS3 games. Of course, until Sony reveals its plans we can only speculate.
Back to top Go down

PS4 backwards-compatibility difficult
Page 1 of 1